Tuesday 29 April 2014

The Flower and the Pearl

Bismillahir Rahmaanir Raheem


A flower and a pearl were engaged in conversation when sadness appeared on the flower.
The pearl asked: “Nothing accounts for sorrow in your talk; so why the sadness?"

The flower sighed: "Humans deal with us carelessly. They don't grow us for our sake; rather they want to draw pleasure from our fragrance and beautiful appearance. They use us for this purpose and thereafter discard us. They throw us on the street or in the garbage after we are dispossessed of our most valuable properties - our beauty and fragrance."

The flower, turning to the pearl, then requested: "Speak to me about your life! How do you live? How do you feel, buried deep in the sea?”

The pearl responded: "Whilst I do not have any of your distinctive colours and beautiful, sweet scents, human beings consider me to be very precious. They go to great lengths to procure me. They undertake long journeys, dive deep in the oceans, in their search for me.

You may be surprised to know that the deeper I am hidden away, the more beautiful and brilliant I become. This is what increases my value in their estimation. …I live in a thick shell isolated in the deep, dark seas – but I am happy and comfortable to remain in this safe environment, far from greedy, wanton and mischievous hands. …Despite the thick shell that conceals me, humans still consider me highly valuable."

Dear Reader, do you know what the flower and the pearl symbolize?

…The flower is that woman who reveals her beauty and her charms – who men use, abuse and discard. The pearl is the Muslimah who veils her beauty and keeps concealed and hidden, from wanton, evil gazes.


May Allah Ta’ala grant all Muslim women, deep appreciation for the Hijaab and Niqaab.